Tuesday, January 18, 2011

One long night... and The many faces of Everett

I've mentioned that I had a long labor, but I didn't really say much else about it.  My labor actually started the night of my due date.  Jon and I were hanging out watching TV and all the sudden those false labor contractions felt a little different.  I was unsure for a long time, but I stayed up for several hours trying to time them and figure out if it was the real thing or not.  I also stayed up because every time I laid down they were much worse!  I called the doctor, but was still unsure.  I was afraid to be wrong and drive all the way to Athens in the middle of the night and get sent home.  Then, I called my mom and she said "Honey, it's time to have a baby."  So, of course mother knows best and I went to wake Jon up.  We left at about 2am and got to Athens a little after 3am.  We got to "hang out" in a monitoring room at St. Mary's until about 8 or 9am... slow progress!  It was not fun; I was not a fan of that room.  Finally, we got to move to my regular labor and delivery room.  Still, Everett wasn't ready to come out yet.  I got an epidural and things started looking up... those drugs are amazing!  And then, finally, finally we got ready to meet Everett around 2pm, and he showed up ready to party at 4:15pm.  Whew! It was a long night.  What made it all so surreal (besides the heavy drugs I was on and the pain I was in) was that the TV in the room happened to be on when I started to push.  It was on a show about Monster Fish... specifically catfish.  All I remember is that every minute or so in between pushes, Jon and Jackie (my wonderful nurse) were talking about these catfish.  They would turn and stare at the TV and talk about fish and I'd go... "Okay, I'm ready now!" and then they'd help me and go back to watching and talking about fish.  I thought I was dreaming, it was so weird!
Then, the weekend grew long.  I had a fever when Everett was born, so they wanted to do some blood tests on Everett to make sure he didn't have an infection.  They did a blood culture on him.  We were told we'd have to wait 48 hours to find out the results.  Meanwhile, they gave him an IV and began to give him 2 different antibiotics.  That was stressful.  Finally, at around 5 or 6pm on Sunday evening we found out that every thing was fine and he did not have any infections... completely healthy.  We left the hospital around 6:30 or 7pm and barely made it home when it started to sleet and snow.  It was exciting and stressful, and we were all exhausted.  We're so glad Everett made it here before we got stuck at the hospital and that he's so healthy.  (He also waited until after I finished my report cards that morning and went to the grocery store... he's so considerate:).
Since we've been home, we've been having fun seeing all of Everett's many faces that he makes.  Here's a few of my favorites...
Fist pump!

blowing bubbles

sleeping sweetly in Grandma Nettie's lap

deep thinker

"I don't want to wake up!"

When he's really content, he'll just stare at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment